Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Aprons for little ones

Several years ago, I purchased two handmade aprons for Andrew and Elijah.  Now that Lavella and Jonah are regularly helping me in the kitchen I felt it was high time they had their own aprons as well.  Since I've been sewing again, it occurred to me that I could make them myself.  What an idea!
 
 

Apron on left is my own improvised pattern, apron on right is from pattern Simplicity 3701, little girl size medium (thank you for the pattern suggestion, Aunt Susie!).

Remarkably I actually managed to get these under the tree by Christmas morning, and the little ones have been making good use of them since.

Jonah's apron took almost no time at all.  I simply laid out a very old, raggedy child's apron that we've had around (no one ever wanted to wear it because it just didn't hang right, and it was plain red with great big stains all over it).  I traced around the old apron onto this adorable Golden Books fabric that I happend to have in the stash.  Once I had edged it with a 1/2" denim bias tape (and added little bias-tape loops at the waist to thread the straps criss-cross), it was DONE!

 



Lavella's took a full day or so to complete.  The top of the bodice is lined, with the added trouble of inserting piping all around the edges and ruffles at the shoulders.


 



The pockets are fully lined, and have an oversized rick-rack trim peeking out for a scalloped edge (my own touch -- I adore rick-rack, and keep a little stash of vintage edging in my studio at all times).

 



 



I edged the bottom ruffle with a baby rick-rack in matching red.

 


Now I think that I need a matching one for myself.

Most importantly though, beyond all of the fashioning details, is how they fit:

 



And the fact that the children's clothing now doesn't get AS covered in flour when they "help".

 



Because there is a LOT of "helping" around here, my friends.

 



 



Completely unrelated, but there was frost on the ground when we woke up today, and all that I want to do is curl up with a hot chocolate and my knitting.  And maybe a little embroidery.


 

"Thinking" pattern from Little Dear Etsy shop by Aimee Ray; Chullo earflap hat pattern by Mary Ellen Langieri.

What is on your agenda for today?

1 comment:

a.susie said...

The aprons look great. That's exactly where I got my pattern for Little Worker; laying down an old carpenter's apron and tracing it out. I adore the Golden Book fabric!!! I have never seen that! Good job on Lavella's! I am starting acouple new aprons for myself using that pattern.