Monday, January 04, 2010

Just For Sarah (and maybe Jonas)

Sarah made a special request to include a new category for the year's best, so here it is. Best Music DVDs of the year. Sarah, it's funny that you mentioned that because this year, right after I posted the list I was kicking myself for not mentioning my favorite movie of the year, It Might Get Loud. I mean, what could be better than Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White hanging out, playing and talking about how great the electric guitar is?


(And I don't care what Jonas may say, but I like Jack White's music and that's that. By the way Jonas, great list. I'll definitely have to check out some of the bands you mentioned. However, I will take your invitation to say that you're full of crap in thinking that the new mewithoutYou isn't awesome. You can take credit though for getting me into them in the first place, even though I still don't like their first record;)

I can't really think of any other good music videos that came out this year so here's a few more to chose from:

16 Horsepower Live
A.F.I. - I Heard A Voice
A Mighty Wind
A Prairie Home Companion
Almost Famous
BLAST! An Explosive Musical Celebration (Kid Friendly)
Blindsie: Ten Years Running Blind 1994 - 2004
Chicago
Converge - The Long Road Home
Danielson: A Family Movie (Kid Friendly)
Del Castillo - Live
Eluveitie - Live @ Summer Breeze 2008
Evelynn - Final Show Live Bootleg (Kid Friendly, if they like chaos and fire-breathing)
Genghis Blues
High Fidelity
Jet - Family Style
Jimi Hendrix - Live At Woodstock
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Chariot
Leahy - Live From Ganineau, Quebec (Kid Friendly)
My Morning Jacket - Okonokos
MxPx B-Movie (Kid Friendly)
Paco De Lucia - Light And Shade
Please Experience Wolfmother
Sigur Ros - Heima (Kid Friendly)
Sophie Milman - Live In Montreal
Stomp Out Loud (Kid Friendly)
The Aquabats DVD of Serious Awesomeness! (Kid Friendly)
The Black Keys Live
The Decemberists - A Practical Handbook
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine The DVD
The Doors
The Rolling Stones - Shine A Light
The White Stripes - Under Blackpool Lights
This Is Spinal Tap
Touch The Sound - A Sound Journey With Evelyn Glennie (Kid Friendly)
Training For Utopia - Live Bootleg
Zao - The Lesser Lights Of Heaven

3 comments:

Faith said...

I have to disagree with It Might Get Loud being THE BEST movie that's come out all year. Also, several on your list actually would make it onto my Worst Of (if I had a list), but for the most part...good choices. :)

(P.S. 16 Horsepower? Gag.)

Anonymous said...

You must see Anvil: The Story of Anvil. It is an amazing story of a band that would not give up. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll cheer. It is definitely not kid friendly though. This was the best documentary of 2009 in my opinion. Although I have not seen this might get loud, it has been on my must see list for a while now.

Jonas

MandaPanda said...

I've got a couple for you that I didn't see on the list. They didn't come out this year but who cares.

"Young at Heart" - A documentary on a chorus of senior citizens from Massachusetts who cover songs by Jimi Hendrix, Coldplay, Sonic Youth, and other unexpected musicians.

"Standing in the Shadows of Motown" - Documentary about the Funk Brothers, a group of Detroit musicians who backed up dozens of Motown artists.

Hope you get a chance to watch them and enjoy them.

Amanda