Friday, December 18, 2009

Happy birthday, Jonah

Dear Jonah,

One year ago today, you were born into this world. Your daddy had just come home for R&R two days before, mid-deployment, and we were so glad to have the privilege of meeting you together.



(1 week old, the day after your 1st Christmas)

We are so glad that we decided to have a 4th baby, because you, my little friend, are pretty fantastic.


Wearing the first hat I knit for you

Even though I've had three other children, there has been nothing boring about your babyhood to me. I am fascinated by your tiny fat hands, by your expressive face, by your wild, bright smile.


(2 weeks old)



(8 weeks old)

Ever since you were born, I've scarcely stopped kissing the top of your downy head, snuggling in your sweet baby-self.


(3 months old)

It's very hard for me to accept that you're growing up. I've probably cried at every milestone you've had. Here you are, eating your first solid food when you were 5 months old.


(5 months old)

I was probably crying a little as I took that picture. It looks like you were too. Admittedly, it may have been for different reasons.

Soon you'll be entering your toddlerhood, and I know that I need to accept that, but I find myself trying to hang on to your brilliant baby smiles, the drooling kisses you shower me with, trying to fix these moments in my head, knowing that they're all gone and forgotten far too quickly.


(8 months old)



(9 months old)



(11 months)

Today you are 1 year old. You are poised on the doorstep of Little Boy World, and I need to let you grow up. I suppose that's OK.


(1 year old)

Really, I'm just saying that because, as it turns out, there's nothing I can do to stop time. I'm just here for the ride. I love you, little man. I'm so glad that we get to be on this journey together.

Love you forever and ever,
Mommy

6 comments:

Sarcy said...

One year already. It seems now that the days are long but the years are short. He's so beautiful. I wouldn't be able to stop kissing that little baby head, either.

Anonymous said...

Wish we could celebrate with you. It's not easy being a grandmother from afar. Hey little guy: I love you Jonah! Happy 1st Birthday!

Jill

a.susie said...

Boy. You make every Mommy out there long for those moments again. Thanks for sharing your birthday letters.

Wendy said...

I love the letters you write to each of your children on their birthdays. It will be something that all of you can look back on. Happy Birthday to the little guy and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

The navy hat on him (on your back) is amazing, I am assuming that you made it! Also, LOVE thepics of him in the cabinet! Too stinkin' cute!
Rachel

wendy said...

I love the letters you write to each of your children on their birthdays. It will be something that all of you can look back on. Happy Birthday to the little guy and Merry Christmas to you and your family.