Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Fun in the snow: Switzerland

Greg had 4 days off this past weekend, so we headed off to Switzerland to play in the snow. (To skip this post and go straight to the entire album, click here. The photos in this post are just a few selected from the many.)

Cast of characters:
Cast of Characters
Riding up in the cable car or "gondola" made my stomach lurch. I'm really not a huge fan of heights. Or speed. Or snow. Ah well, Swiss Alps, here we come.

At the top of this particular mountain is a daycare/childcare where you can leave your smallest members for 11 Franks an hour (about $8 USD). Lavella was cool with this arrangement.
Daisy eating, being amused by the boys across the table

Then we rented two sleds. Greg took Andrew on one, and Elijah and I got on the other.
Max and me
Some of the slopes were pretty steep, and the only breaks for the sled are the boots of the person sitting on it.

Mr and Sparky
At night, whenever I closed my eyes to sleep, all that I could see was the edge of the trail, and imagined Elijah and myself hurtling off of it.

The view was fantastic though.
Self-portrait on the mountainside

There were some snowmen built,
The boys who built the snowman

we watched parachuters land,
More people strapped to a parachute
and had a pretty great time. There was one unfortunate incident in which Elijah and I took a wrong turn and ended up having to sled down the entire mountain, but even from the distance of a few days don't really want to talk about it. It took three hours out of my day, about 3 years off my life, and I'd rather delete it from my memory.

Will we go back? Now that I've got some sleep, I can say with certainty, "probably".

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Such great pictures! It looks so beautiful. Are you wearing a snowsuit? because I've been looking for a snowsuit forEVER. and everyone just laughs at me. anyway, I'm so glad you're blogging all this greatness!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I have to say, that does NOT sound like fun! (I'm not a huge fan of snow sports...or heights...or accidently having to sled down the mountain with my child...etc., etc., etc.)
But, I AM a huge fan of seeing your little fam have such great and exciting times together. ~

Mom2Zoey said...

Wow, that sounds exciting! The best we have done so far is sled down the pile of snow at the end of our driveway (which is about 5 feet tall). Zoey enjoyed it enough. I knoww hat you mean about reliving the event everytime you close your eyes. I would be a mess! I'm glad you are all ok and had some fun. You guys are giving your kids an amazing life! ~A

feelinsnappy said...

hey faith, it's lisa p from new jersey =)

I just wanted to know that I check in here from time to time to see how you and greg and the kids are doing... say hi to the rest of your family for me when you talk to them!!!

-Lisa P.