Saturday, June 11, 2005

Bountiful with boys

I am the mother of two boys. I look forward to seeing Andrew and Elijah form a brotherly bond and face the world together as a team. Everyone kept asking me "well, are you hoping for a girl or a boy?". I could honestly answer that it would be fantastic to have either. A little girl would mean balancing the Household Gender Count, having a tiny person to dress in lace, or trendy, or "just like Mommy", and giving Andrew a sister would help him learn all about girls at home so that he can be a more well rounded fellow. A little boy would mean a playmate for Andrew, and I knew that if Andrew had a brother so close in age, they would both be thrilled to have a live-in friend, advocate, and partner-in-crime.

All in all, I must say, I am overjoyed to have Elijah. God gave our family the perfect gift when he chose to bless us with this new little guy. And now Greg and I get the challenge, the opportunity, the thrill, of raising two men! What a privilege, and what an awesome responsibility -- one we do not take lightly. Every day I ask God to make me the very best mother I can be to my children. I know that it's going to be very hard at times, and I may wonder in those moments, on those days, if I can possibly make it through. I know, however, that God has a vested interest in our success. These little guys belong to Him first, and He will ensure that we not only "make it", but that we excel in this career of parenting.

No comments: