Wednesday, May 11, 2005

On why Greg was a very good idea

This past weekend, for my birthday/mother's day/babymoon (like a honeymoon, but when pregnant after married as a "last hurrah" of sorts), Greg took me to this bed and breakfast in Windsor, and we ate out, hung out, and pretty much just had a really good, fun, relaxing time. Greg's parents babysat Andrew for the weekend, so he also had a fantastic time, I'm sure.

Often we find ourselves in the middle of any given day wondering when we will actually be able to really see each other again, in the whirl of Greg's busy work schedule that keeps him away from 7am until (often) 7pm, dinner, playing with Andrew, Greg's nightly shower, tidying up after hurricane Andrew each night, and my growing exhaustion and early bedtimes. It seems most of the time that we live next to each other in the same house, existing side-by-side in worlds that don't often intersect, and not really together.

We have tried to rework our schedules over and over, but it seems that this is our life right now, and it's just the way that it has to be. Thus, weekends like the one that we just experienced are that much more important -- not simply a weekend of fun, but desperately needed re-connect with each other.

I've noticed that, even in that short span of a weekend, things have changed. I don't know if it's possible to love Greg more than I already do, but if so, it's happened. It's almost like discovering all over again that I am the most fortunate person in the world, and the person I chose to marry truly is the love and best friend of my life. Well, because maybe that's exactly what it was.

I've hesitated to blog this particular event all week, feeling it a bit personal to share with God knows whoever reads this, but I feel like it's appropriate on the off chance that it could help and encourage someone else. Don't forget that first love, and if you need a refresher, go for it. There's nothing wrong with getting away from it all and being "selfish" with each other. In fact, everything is right about that.

No comments: